These are actual questions we have been asked. Don’t see your question here? Contact us.
Click on the questions to expand or hide the answers.
Last updated: April 5, 2017
When you are on an AirTrain, get off at Station C (Federal Circle). It is a car rental and hotel pick-up station. Walking to Building 14 is not recommended due to distance and traffic hazards. There is a bus service from Station C that will take you to the Building 14 area. The bus runs approximately every 20 minutes. So be sure to make plans accordingly and in advance.
Here is the map showing locations of Station C and Building 14. Detailed information and maps can be found on our Where We Are page.
All kinds of people!
People who like to walk, the physically challenged, kids, the elderly, and more!
It was a very wet race day in 2006!
Here, you can see the spectators in spectator areas lined up
on both sides of the Start/Finish line. (From the 2011 race)
(From the 2013 race)
During the year 2011 and afterward, we have every intent to run on the runway unless there is a last-minute emergency/security occurrence that we are unable to forecast. Please keep an eye on this website, join our mailing list, Twitter, and/or Facebook to be informed of any new announcements.
(Since 2011, the race has consecutively taken place on the runway.)
Medals from the 2009 race
From Where We Are page
These tough-looking security folks are sure to keep your possessions safe!
(2012 and 2014, respectively)
For those who would like to know what an armband is, see below; the lady is wearing an armband for her smartphone on her upper arm.
If you registered via postal mail, please let us know the name and address you used to send the mail as well the name and address that was on the check (if different from yours).
The deadline for refund requests is the same as the online registration deadline. If you missed it, your payment will become non-refundable and will be distributed to the charities.
Note: The online registration processing fee is non-refundable.
We’re sorry you’re unable to come to the race. Hopefully next year!
- Your full name
- Your registration # (forwarding us your confirmation email is fine)
- Relationship to the replacement (family, friend, colleague, etc.)
- Replacement’s full name
- Replacement’s date of birth
- Replacement’s gender
- Replacement’s street address, city, zip
- Replacement’s phone number
- Replacement’s email address
- Replacement’s emergency contact person’s name and phone number
- Replacement’s shirt size (if different from yours; bear in mind that, depending on when your request is made, we can’t guarantee having a different sized shirt available)
We hope you will be able to join us next year!
Another way is to take a subway “E” train from NYC to Jamaica Station and then take the AirTrain to Federal Circle.
We have buses at Federal Circle (with signs that say “5K Race”) that will take you to the Building 14 for the race. After the race, the buses will take you back to the AirTrain. Here is the link to the subway maps on MTA’s website. (If the link is broken, please let us know.)
(As of 2014 and onward) Due to orders from Port Authority of NY & NJ (the airport’s management), we no longer permit photographers/cameras at the race. Only authorized personnel will have cameras.
(From the 2013 and 2014 races, respectively).
- ...take pictures of your race for free. I will then post the pictures on my website where your participants can select pictures and purchase them to be printed.
- ...take pictures of your race and give you the pictures to be posted on your website, all for free.
- ...take pictures of your event and post them to my social media page. All I am asking for is a nominal fee for my services.
Since our event’s creation, all photographs have been taken with our own authorized staff and will continue as such. Additionally, the purpose of the race is a fundraiser for the JFK Rotary Club, not for the commercial gain of any other entities. Again, we appreciate your offer. Thank you.
From the 2013 race
- Airline Employees Children’s Cancer Victims
- Aviation Student Scholarship August Martin H.S.
- Cancer Walk-a-thon
- Children’s Christmas Party for Special Needs Children
- Easter Seals Walk
- J.E.T.S. (Joining Everyone to Share)
- JFK Christ for the World Chapel
- JFK U.S. Customs Explorer Program
- Little Sisters of Notre Dame
- Lupus Foundation
- Our Lady of the Skies
- Queens Boy Scout Air Explorers
- Rotary District 7250 Veteran’s Program
- St. Baldrick’s Cancer Fund
- Student Scholarship Aviation H.S.
- Thanksgiving Dinners for Airline Employees needy families
(From the 2014 race)
Upon your flight’s arrival, take the AirTrain to Federal Circle and then take the bus to the race area. Complete directions can be found above (002). There is a maximum of approximately 15-20 minutes wait time for the AirTrain and for the bus (total of no more than 30-40 minutes).
There will be a secure box truck where you can check-in your possessions. (See 015 above; contains a picture of the truck and security guards.)
Good luck! We hope you make it to the race and enjoy it!
Additionally, we have a few medical clinics within the airport that are open 24/7. One of those clinics is located in Building 14, the same building where the sign-in/bib pick-up area is.
If you have a preexisting medical condition that you think we should be aware of, feel free to contact us and let us know the details. You can also inform a race coordinator in person on the race day.
You can see the ambulance, police, and security vehicles in the background
The buses will leave continually as soon as they are filled with people once they finish the race. You may have to wait, but it should not take too long.
If you’re sure it was done online, check your emails. You should have a confirmation email if your registration was successful. Be sure to check your spam box too, just in case. Emails sometimes end up there unexpectedly. If there’s no luck, contact us with your full name and address.
If you think you sent us a postal mail, please contact us with your full name and address also. We’ll look into it for you.
All items and clothing not needed for the race should be stored at the secure holding area near Building 14 before you board the buses to the starting area. (See # 015.) The reason is due to airport security.
We’re truly sorry for the inconvenience and hope you understand. Thank you.
Additionally, if you have relatives or friends who can’t attend in person but still want to get t-shirts, they can register as a Virtual Runner.
Just be sure to have them register before the t-shirt’s deadline. (March 22nd 2017, for the 2017 race.)